Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sleepwalking... while awake?

Last night, middle of the night sometime, I got up. I went to the kitchen and turned on the light. I came back to bed and told Husband, "You need to get up and help me contain Kittyboy." He rolled over and said, with the tone of one who's said it before, "Kittyboy's still in bed, dear. He's asleep. Go back to bed." He shut off the kitchen light and I went back to sleep.
The funny thing is, I remember this. I remember, at the time, believing that Kittyboy was up, out of his room, and I don't know what he was doing, but I guess he wouldn't go back to his room or something ("help me contain..."). I remember turning around after Husband told me Kittyboy was still in bed asleep, not seeing him (KB) behind me, and thinking, "Oh, okay, he's not up after all" and then going to bed. This morning, I thought maybe I'd dreamed the whole thing, because by definition, somnambulism is not remembered, so I asked if I'd done anything weird during the night, and Husband recounted exactly what I remembered happening. I've done this before, woken up in the middle of the night and tried to get Husband up to help me with Kittyboy, only to be told the boy's still asleep in bed. I've just never gotten up and done stuff before. Each time, I'm convinced the boy's up. At least once, I've argued with Husband over whether that's true ("No he's not asleep - are you sure? He's not up?"). And each time, when I look around to find Kittyboy, I realize he's not there, he really is asleep, and then I go back to bed.
But I seem to be conscious while it's happening. And I remember it when I wake up. So I'm awake... but I'm dreaming.
How weird is that!

No comments: