Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lent and Patience

I'm trying, most strenuously, to do two major things this Lent - potty-train a three-year-old (coming up on 3 years and 2 months) who doesn't appear to be motivated by ANYTHING, and clean a house in spite of said toddler's bathrooming habits, in preparation for my "confinement" with the Sibling.
The cleaning is going VERY well, despite my worst fears. The potty-training is going HORRIBLY, despite my best efforts.
I have found and maintained, so far, a dining room table, part of a front-room desk, a nursery floor, and partial floors in the family room and master bedroom. Kittyboy IS trained in cleaning his room (sorta-kinda, better trained than either of his parents actually), and so the nursery is off my list (until the time comes to rearrange and squeeze in a crib). Alternatively, we could move Kittyboy's stuff AND the crib, and all baby stuff, into the family room, though that would mean heavy draperies on a massive amount of windows. I'll have to draw up floor plans for the nursery (which would then be office and family room), and current family room, and see if that would work better. It would definitely be the longer-term solution. Biting my tongue when Husband leaves something out on a space I'm trying desperately to maintain, but I can do this. I can do this. "I can do this" is my mantra.
Kittyboy lost all but maybe five books, of his large library, by dropping them behind his bed. Now that his bed is a heavy wooden frame and not a mattress and boxspring on the floor, it's one heck of a hassle to retrieve them, so we said anything that went behind, went up on a high shelf, and he couldn't have them. Got down to FIVE books. So I decided after a while, when he finally started asking for them, that he could earn them back by being dry all day. He earned back two. Now the one up for earning is the big Milne/Shepard "Winnie the Pooh" - and it's been up on display as a reward for two days now. Tomorrow is Day 3 - for one of the most coveted books he lost. He doesn't even have to be clean and dry at school, there's 2.5 hours of the day he has a pass on, because he might need to go and not remember to ask, you know? Just in the morning before we take him, and from getting home again until dinner. And it's not happening. Apparently there is NOTHING ON THIS PLANET he wants badly enough to sit on the toilet if he's busy doing something. NOTHING ON THIS PLANET. It is beyond discouraging. He is SO fully capable. He just - doesn't feel like it.
And above all, I resolved (as I do every year) to improve control of my temper. For Lent. While increasing my patience.
Lent is way, way, way too short for this to happen.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your header! Congratulations! I will keep you in my morning prayers.

And, sigh, patience. It takes me about all Lent to even begin acquiring it.