Thursday, October 1, 2009

Killed a Spider - Still Jumpy

I have so far managed to not raise a fellow arachnophobe, only because Kittyboy's not that observant. I took down a basket of stuff for him to play with, out crawled a white recluse. And since Young-And-Impressionable was at my side, I could NOT scream my head off and leave the room. Worse, my son sat down NEXT TO the basket, and started pulling things from it oblivious to the large white spider running around the rim of the basket. I managed somehow, I don't know how, to keep from actually making any sound whatsoever, I grabbed a book, knocked the spider off, and tried to smoosh it. Spiders are resilient. Since it was on carpet, the first THREE TIMES I picked up the book, it kept running around. I had to put ALL my weight on the book and move it around before I picked it up and spider was no more. Kittyboy sat happily playing the whole time completely ignoring me. So then I just sat there holding my knees and shaking for a few minutes. I. HATE. SPIDERS.
Half an hour later, I'm still twitching.
I. SERIOUSLY. HATE. SPIDERS.
Give me a bull snake in the bathroom any day of the week.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm in the rather have spiders than snakes camp.

BUT, I totally get the heebie jeebies you are experiencing. Hugs.

Mary said...

I'm so paranoid of snakes that I won't even go out and do my gardening any more, as snakes have been proliferating around my yard lately (I think we have 2 nests of garter snakes -- no they're not poisonous, but they can give one a heart attack, can they not?).

I am not afraid of spiders at all, so I'll kill your spiders if you kill my snakes!

I have not heard of white recluse spiders, only brown. A friend was once bitten by a brown recluse spider once and ended up with a huge permanent crater in his arm. He was "down" for four months due to the poison in his body from the spider and had to miss a whole semester of college and lay in bed the whole time.

Caeseria said...

I would happily relocate your snakes! The one time I caught a baby garter (sooo cute) to show my son, I couldn't get his attention fast enough and it got away. :(
White recluses are what I was told these big white spiders were at college - they were ubiquitous in one dorm I lived in, and I never touched the curtains because they LIKED the curtains. I got bitten once, the spot started weepy and itchy and grew into ropey scales covering several inches of skin. Then again, I could be allergic to spider bites. At the time, it reinforced the local name given them - white recluses. I don't know what their real name is, but legs included they're the size of a nickel, and very pale tan.

Pres. Kathy said...

I hate spiders too - and so does my husband. We always have to argue over who will take care of it!! By the way, I love the look of your blog! It is so awesome!

Caeseria said...

I believe it's scrappingblogs.blogspot.com - or scrappinblogs - the url is on the side of my blog, and they've got a ton of awesome blog templates for free, and even instructions on how to use them. AWESOME.