Tuesday, December 9, 2008

P.S. on that last post

P.S. All jokes aside -
"Chicagoans think southern Illinois starts at Kankakee"
"I told them I was from downstate and they thought I mean Joliet"
AND the radio reporter whom I actually heard urging listeners to go to the DuPage County Fair (my grandparents live in Wheaton) because "You've got to see these cows, they're bigger than you think..."
I did once ask directions of a Chicago gas station employee. I had gotten off at the wrong exit trying to get home, managed to escape suburb madness back into the city proper, and stopped at a gas station on E. Cicero. I knew where I was, what I didn't know is where I-55 was from there. All I wanted to do was buy a map and ask how to get back to I-55. He asked me where I was going, and I said Springfield - just point me to 55, that's all I need. His first answer boiled down to "can't get there from here" which I knew was bogus. So then he asked where Springfield was. I had a cranky 18-month-old hanging on my arm, and my patience was short - I answered "South."
"Oh, so like, Joliet?" That was as far as the map was unfolded.
I took a deep breath to grasp what shreds of my temper were left. I unfolded the map the rest of the way, to show the lower THREE-FOURTHS of the state. I pointed at Springfield. "No, not Joliet. SOUTH."
His jaw dropped. He stared at the map as if it were a piece of alien technology. And I swear to you by all that is holy, the next words out of his mouth were, "HOW did you get up HERE?"
"Interstate... Fifty... Five."
Stupid people would be so funny, if I didn't have to interact with them.
And that young man can vote...

No comments: